255 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Wayne's V-10 Ram

For the folks new to wood gas this video my not be very interesting but the old timers may appreciate it.

I don’t know how long the truck will idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpjmN3J70U

Don Mannes
Don Mannes's picture
Wayne, I didn't know you wore

Wayne, I didn't know you wore glasses. You looked pretty distinguished there in the rear view mirror.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Don,

Hello Don,

Yea these glasses came with all those birthdays!!

I put about 350 miles on the Dakota today going to Auburn University.

Here is a pic from there of the bio energy class.
Hard for the students to see the flames but they could hear and feel it.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
I dumped ashes this morning

I dumped ashes this morning and this is about typical. This is 400-600 miles of ash.

Don Mannes
Don Mannes's picture
Hi Wayne,

Hi Wayne,
I was expecting to see a lot finer ash. Is some of that char that would still burn say in a barbecue grill?
Don

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Don,

Hello Don,
Yes Don it could be used to BQ. But most people like to use it as bio char and mix it in there gardens.
I try to dump in the garden or any part of the farm that seems to need more nutrients.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Early light up and gone.

Early light up and gone.

Told the wife I had things to do and places to go!!

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Mike LaRosa claims we have no

Mike LaRosa claims we have no hills in Alabama but compared to Florida we might.

Worked the V-10 in the hills today on some steep grades.

http://youtu.be/ZapLxGJNRwU

BBB

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Once I reach a reasonable

Once I reach a reasonable cruising speed it seems to take very little throttle to maintain this speed if it is level road.
I think about 1/8 throttle to keep this speed.

http://youtu.be/UeRkyXv8iwo

BBB

Bill Murray
What kind of range can you

What kind of range can you expect with one hopper load in the V-10? Do you find the V-8 more efficient?
Thanks,
Bill

Chris Saenz
Chris Saenz's picture
The V10's hopper holds about

The V10's hopper holds about 50 pounds. That much can make the truck anywhere from 20-40 miles depending on conditions and usage.

The Dakotas can go about 50 miles on a full hopper.

Chris Franklin
Chris Franklin's picture
Wayne,

Wayne,

What are the dimensions of the cooling rack on the V-10? What size pipe, etc?

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hey Chris , I will check

Hey Chris , I will check the size tomorrow morning and get back with ya.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Good Morning Chris Franklin,

Good Morning Chris Franklin,

On my V-10 cooler the horizontal pipes are 2-3/16 OD with the exception of the two 2-3/8 horizontal pipes at the rear of the cooler.

Because I am pulling gooseneck trailers and to keep the trailer clear of the cooler I ran a single pipe ( vs. two or three ) on each side of the truck
The vertical pipe I used is 2-7/8 OD.

If you can find 3 inch square tubing for the vertical part of the cooler it will be much easier to build. (Take a look at Chris S. cooler with the vertical 3 inch square tubes.)

(2 inch PVC pipe will fit the 2-3/8 OD steel pipe)

I have some 1-7/8 tubing I will be using for the horizontal part of the Dakota cooler I am building.

You may need to hook to one of your trailers and judge where to stop your cooler rack so you will be able to make sharp turns.

I have the trailer hitch located over the rear axle and have 64 inches of clearance from the rear of the truck to the cooler.

BBB

Chris Franklin
Chris Franklin's picture
Thanks Wayne.

Thanks Wayne.

How high above the cab is the cooler?

Chris Saenz
Chris Saenz's picture
Chris,

Chris,

We just measured it. 12" or so from the cab to the top rail.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
The wife and I was lucky

The wife and I was lucky enough to trap a couple of yearlings this afternoon and took them to the cattle sale.

It was about a 35 mile round trip with an old heavy steel home made trailer .

After about 15 sec start up on gasoline not another drop was used on the trip

http://youtu.be/pfd3ROc9ZQI

Over 4K on the Ram with woodgas now . Short trips and around the farm .

The dakota gets to go on the long trips

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Have been about 40 miles this

Have been about 40 miles this morning all on wood and that NO BULL!!

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Working the V-10 this morning

Working the V-10 this morning.

After the 1500 mile trip with the little Dakota, and then getting in the V-10 this morning was like getting off a little quick Quarter horse and crawling up on big strong 1900 pound Belgium .

Thomas McDaniel
hi wayne

hi wayne
i like that v10 no substitute for cubes
If you idle to long what do you do just use gas to warm it back up?
do you go down thru the wood to lite it or is there a port?
sorry about the dumb questions but i'm new to mobil gasifiers

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Thomas,

Hello Thomas,

If the gasifier would not recover from too long of an idle I would just blend in a small amount of gasoline.

If you will go to YouTube and search “ wayne keith woodgas “ there will be a lot of videos that show start ups. I think the link below will put you there.

I have had lighting ports on some of my earlier gasifiers but never used them.

My gasifiers needs to be lit in three places; this will depend on the state of the gasifier the last time it was used.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wayne+keith+wood+gas&oq=wayn...

Terry Cornelis
can a vulcan gasifier or gek

can a vulcan gasifier or gek 20 or evinger 50 run a truck for those that are not handy or trained in welding

Thomas McDaniel
Hi Wayne

Hi Wayne
Do you have a guess as to about the power of your v10 gasifier
I'm getting ready to try a pilot injection diesel in my one ton i have sparkplug adapters for the 903 cu in. but not the 466 i have in it now and i'm not sure how big to make it i guess i would need 100 hp at least i would like to trim the diesel pilot as small as possible
thanks
Tom

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Terry,

Hello Terry,

I don’t feel comfortable saying what another brand gasifier will or will not do. Hopefully Matt or Jim Mason or someone that has used one could chime in.

Terry G is using a GEK; maybe he could give some advice.

I don’t know how much data there are on gasifier performance but the gasifier I drove to Argos performed very well.

Coming back from Argos I drove 630 miles in 12.5 hours. There may have been people that drove there on gasoline that didn’t average those speeds if they went over the 500 mile mark. Also I was pulling a loaded trailer and keeping up with interstate highway traffic.

Just one other note. I backed off the throttle just a little to see if I could break the 100 mile per fueling mark. One of the fueling I got 97.5 miles and another 107 miles per hopper. (The fuel hopper is level with the cab)

Kyle Townsend
Wayne said: "My gasifiers

Wayne said: "My gasifiers needs to be lit in three places; this will depend on the state of the gasifier the last time it was used."

I was wondering if Wayne could explain where the three different locations are and when he would use them?

Terry Grzyb
Terry Grzyb's picture
Terry C, With a stock GEK,

Terry C, With a stock GEK, full size truck and tail wind, I would guess about 30 mph? Jim Mason has been designing larger systems but I don't know the details of such.

Terry Cornelis
thanks for the feedback I,m

thanks for the feedback I,m wondering if a evinger 50 which I believe has a 7 and one half inch nozzle could produce more usable gas?

Bruce French
Terry,

Terry,

I sent you a private message. Let me know if you need any more info.

Woody

Terry Lavictoire
Terry Lavictoire's picture
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas/message/43769
Arvid Olson's thoughts on Evinger.
I'm of the same mind.TerryL

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Kyle,

Hello Kyle,

It was great getting to meet you this weekend, now I have a face to go with the name.

Yes Kyle I will make a post on why, when and where the gasifier may need to be lit in different locations.

It will take me a while to explain it so it’s not confusing.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Thomas,

Hello Thomas,

The V-10 is a big heavy truck and the gasifier extends above the bed which gives it even more drag.
It seems to run on level ground around 60 mph with no problem. It will go faster but the temperature will start rising. So far it hasn’t been hot enough to burn the paint off the gasifier anywhere and I don’t know where the critical point would be.

As far as horse power, I don’t know.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
I had some visitor over from

I had some visitor over from the Atlanta and Savannah Georgia area and took them for a ride in the V-10.

They will be joining the site soon.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
The Densmore’s from Lakewood

The Densmore’s from Lakewood NY. Visited this morning. I took him for a ride in the V-10 and showed the wood chunkier at work.

They will be on the site soon.

Thomas McDaniel
hi wayne

hi wayne
i saw the vidieo of your chunker it looks like it really works well
did you lock the spider gears or the brake on the other side
thanks
Tom

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Thomas ,

Hello Thomas ,

I welded the spider gears.

The chunker cut wood a little faster than I was willing to work when I had the other brake locked .

Thomas McDaniel
Hi Wayne

Hi Wayne
Thanks i thought it would be really fast and it didn't look that fast in the video
What kind of plasma cutter would be a good choice.
I had one years ago but it was early tech and not much good
It looked like the one you had pierced the fire tube pretty easy
Thanks
Tom

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Thomas,

Hello Thomas,

I have a lotos 5000D plasma cutter, same as shown in the tool section.

It is the only plasma cutter I have ever used so I really don’t have anything to compare it to.

I have only had it for about year and half but I would hate to try to build a gasifier without one now. I think I paid between 300 and 350 bucks.

Maybe someone else with more experience with the plasma cutters will chime in.

Chris Franklin
Chris Franklin's picture
I have an ESAB plasma cutter

I have an ESAB plasma cutter that I found new in the box off of Craigslist. I've had it about 5 years and although I might not use it on a weekly basis it's worth every penny when you do need it. Around a farm you're always needing to repair or create something. I've learned the dryer you can keep your air supply the longer your "consumable" parts will last. That's one thing you don't really consider when buying a plasma cutter is that tips and electrodes can get pricey.

Chris F.

Thomas McDaniel
Hi Wayne

Hi Wayne
I couldn't tell from the fotos
How many blowers do you have on the v10 and how hard does the engine normally suck on the gasifier?
Thanks
Tom

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Hello Mr. Tom,

Hello Mr. Tom,

Thanks for all the kind words. You really make our heads swell!

Chris and I are in the process of putting together a section on the blowers but it might take us a few days.

Over the years I have tried small heater blower motors all the way up to roots system superchargers for starter blowers and have tried them in several location over the system. (Pain is a wonderful teacher)

Thomas McDaniel
Ah yes the school of hard

Ah yes the school of hard knocks LOL

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
I put a lot of miles on the V

I put a lot of miles on the V-10 today and let the dakotas rest.

http://youtu.be/mnul2U2AyME

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
I have been tied up in the

I have been tied up in the hay fields the last couple of days and have been working the V-10 steady...

I took off long enough yesterday to show Dr. Larry Winiarski and some folks from Haiti, Nigeria, Honduras and Guatemala the V-10 and Dakotas. Sorry I can’t remember all the names.

David Orrell
David Orrell's picture
great photo wayne, i think

great photo wayne, i think you and your gasifier has gotten world wide fame, it would be great if enough people would build gasigiers to make an impact on gas supply and prices.

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
I work the V-10 good this

I work the V-10 good this morning. I hauled in about 15 tons of hay from about five miles out and then made another trip to haul my tractor in.

I used no gasoline except for starting.

I beat the rain; the hay is in the barn!

Wayne Keith
Wayne Keith's picture
Below is a video clip of

Below is a video clip of working yesterday morning.

http://youtu.be/-h_rndLUTgc

Mike LaRosa
Mike LaRosa's picture
Good deal on the hay Wayne !!

Good deal on the hay Wayne !!

Doug Cleland
Doug Cleland's picture
Hi Wayne,

Hi Wayne,
The Dodge V10 looks like a good rig for conversion to wood gas, but I'm wondering what transmission is best? I've been looking at a Dodge V10, but it has a 5 speed manual transmission. Is this workable or is an automatic the best way to go?
Doug.............

Chris Saenz
Chris Saenz's picture
They will both work fine,

They will both work fine, assuming you are comfortable with a straight shift.

Wayne has an article in the Premium Members area about this: http://www.driveonwood.com/premium/automatic-vs-manual

Kyle Townsend
Doug - What year model did

Doug - What year model did you find? Is it a extended cab or short cab?

Doug Cleland
Doug Cleland's picture
Kyle - It's a 96 standard cab

Kyle - It's a 96 standard cab 2 WD with a long bed 5 speed manual transmission. Any recommendations? I haven't bought it yet. It would be just for a wood gas conversion project.

Pages